Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-08 19:58:00

halogamer

Updating to EOS 4.7 with USB Floppy and Windows 10

I recently got an e6400 Ultra with EOS 4.2 on it, so I bought a USB floppy to make update. After some research, I found that people said it was only possible with an internal floppy drive, but I found a way to do it. I was surprised that no one had made img files for Flash Prep and EOS 4.7, so I took care of that. You don't need to mess around with the exes or anything.

What you'll need to do is download this software called Omniflop.

1) Put a blank floppy into your USB floppy drive

2) Open Omniflop and click "Next", "OK", and select "Write Disk"

3) Click "Next" and choose the drive letter for your floppy

4) Click "Next" and choose "EMU EOS" for the format.

5) Click "Next" and browse for the img file you want too write.

6) Click "Finish" and let it write to the floppy.

When it's done, you should have your Flash Prep or EOS 4.7 floppy.

Here are the links for the img files:
EOS 4.7: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o9jr0 … S_4.70.img
Flash Prep: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8nj27 … h_Prep.img

#2 2016-01-30 19:50:11

Eskadrone

Re: Updating to EOS 4.7 with USB Floppy and Windows 10

Just registered here to say thank you. Helped a lot.

#3 2016-03-16 22:20:26

sicduk

I can't get omniflop to work for the life of me. Help!!
(Windows 10)

Drivers won't install. I did everything right idfk how to do this

#4 2017-08-27 13:16:57

LloydFa

sicduk wrote:

I recommend fat burners to everyone to work for the life of me. Help!!
(Windows 10)

Drivers won't install. I did everything about right idfk how to do this

Same here, I tried but couldn't get it to work.

Last edited by LloydFa (2021-08-14 09:14:14)

#5 2018-03-08 21:59:32

kf11

I´ve been trying to get this to work for the past two days. No luck so far. Win10 won´t let me install the right driver for Omniflop.

#6 2018-05-23 23:36:47

iSteve

I just managed to get some used but reliable floppy disks.  So far, I have just copied the system onto one disk directly from the make disk utility of an E5000. When I boot the E5000 with the disk in, I get the option to update the OS (EOS 4.70), but I haven't tested it yet.  If I can, this summer I will try to downdate to something less, if I can find a lesser OS for the ultra.  I probably have it--somewhere.  I have in the past used the E-Mu update disk extractors, probably on a Win 98SE PC.  I have the use of a usb drive that I plan to try on win 10 and will see if the original E-Mu upgrade disk maker will work.  If you are still looking for a solution, I could put test it this weekend.

#7 2019-01-29 17:56:42

Alnitak

I've written an app for performing EOS and P2000 O/S upgrades using WebMIDI that runs inside Chrome, and therefore runs under any desktop O/S that runs Chrome.

For samplers it only supports the Ultra type units that are capable of running 4.70, and only if the bootloader supports booting from MIDI.  I know that applies to 4.62, but I don't know about earlier versions.

It's at https://emu.tools/

#8 2019-02-11 15:57:41

Weinstock

Was this functionality not present well before 4.62? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was.

#9 2020-01-28 15:53:20

Alnitak

Weinstock wrote:

Was this functionality not present well before 4.62? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was.

I've had differing reports of whether it works with 4.10a or not.    At least one user has reported success with 4.10a, but I've also got a report from someone else who simply cannot get his E5000 Ultra to enter MIDI update mode on boot up.

Ray

#10 2020-07-02 19:07:36

capacitor

Hi, all!  I picked up my first EOS device (an E5000 Ultra).  I'm looking forward to upgrading it to 4.7 & I'm pretty tech savvy & familiar with eg working with floppies icon_smile

I've read that Omniflop doesn't work with USB floppies, and might not yet be compatible with Windows 10/64 bit.  I can set up a Windows XP system with a native 3 1/2" floppy, if required, but would like to use my current Win10/64 and a pretty generic usb floppy drive that I know works.

Is Omniflop the only way to go (at present) to write the .img files that Halogamer so graciously put together?

Edit/update:   I spent some time later this pm, trying what I have at present (Win10 Pro 64, Teac usb floppy) with Omniflop. I wasn't able to get the Omniflop driver installed, without getting a crash & reboot sequence.  I'm punting in favor of getting a normal diskette and an older OS; I think I have a WinXP laptop that might have such a floppy diskette. 

Real hopeful that once I do, I'll be able to update from the existing 4.02 to 4.10 and 4.62/4.7.

Unable to put it in "midi firmware" mode (power on while pressing Enter) btw.

Last edited by capacitor (2020-07-03 04:18:09)

#11 2020-07-03 06:38:58

capacitor

Rather than clutter up the post above - success!

Tools: 

pretty much any computer/laptop with two usb ports, working display, keyboard and pointing device 
        -> hard drive not required
        -> I used a computer that does not have the latest BIOS scheme, fwiw
        -> Untested on a computer that runs eg Secure Boot and/or UEFI; not sure that matters but it may
System Rescue CD installed on a usb thumb drive
a usb diskette drive (Teac in this case), or if the computer/laptop already has a 3.5" floppy drive you're golden
both of the .img files that Halogamer already put together, copied to the same usb thumb drive
at least two 1.44Mb density floppies, new ones highly recommended

1)  I formatted both diskettes in Windows (10 64bit Pro), at the cmd line, eg "format a:".  Doing so lets you confirm that you have no bad sectors on the diskette, as a precaution.  YYMV using a diskette that has bad spots (I was lucky enough to have two diskettes in fine shape).  I believe writing an .img file as per below will overwrite the formatting, but I don't know for certain on that point.

2)  I already had a copy of SysRescueCD on a thumb drive, so simply copied the two .img files to the root of that drive.

3)  Booted up sysrescuecd with the usb diskette drive plugged in.  I kept one of the floppys from step 1 in the drive.  There's some extra access time & activity during startup, so be forewarned.

4)  Opened a terminal session, started the X Windows manager (startx), and ran gparted to make sure I knew which device the floppy was (eg /dev/sdb).

5)  Copied 'Flash Prep.img' from /livemnt/boot to /flash.img, and in the same fashion copied 'EOS 4.70.img' to /eos.img for convenience at the Linux command line.  This could be done on the system that you used to download them, before copying them over.  For that matter, SysRescueCd is wifi & Internet savvy..

6.a)  Put one of the formatted floppys in the diskette drive, and:  dd if=/flash.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1k

6.b)  Put the other floppy in the diskette drive, and:  dd if=/eos.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1k

Not sure you need the buffer as specified, but 1k worked so hey icon_smile

Actually upgrading the E5U went really fast, much less time than it took to type this out.  This particular E5000 Ultra is now running EOS 4.7. 

If you're already a Linux-friendly tech, the upgrade should work by simply dd'ing the image files to two diskettes.  This technique has been stated elsewhere on the web; just putting it in here in case it's helpful for the folks less experienced with these sort of things.

If you're not just yet, you can get started here:   https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

Last edited by capacitor (2020-07-03 07:18:07)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer