Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-23 11:17:15

mulberry
Windows 10Firefox 109.0

Akai S1100 Noise issue.

My Akai s1100 makes a high pitched sound when turned on. After a while of being on it goes. I got a new capped PSU board for my S1100 today thinking it was that. But it's still there with no change.

The inverter was replaced before by a brand new part and then I got a new LCD. So it's not that.

Could it be the s1100EVBS that's making the noise. A bit hard to tell.

Any ideas?

Eidit:

Made a quick vid showing the issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPO5QwvBxUU

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-23 12:16:01)

#2 2023-01-23 14:11:21

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

Re: Akai S1100 Noise issue.

Most likely the other transformer. As they age they can start having this high-pitched sound. Best to disconnect the mainboard to see if you still hear the high pitch sound and if yes try disconnecting the other transformer and see if that resolves the issue.

#3 2023-01-23 15:02:44

mulberry
Windows 10Firefox 109.0

nkrypth wrote:

Most likely the other transformer. As they age they can start having this high-pitched sound. Best to disconnect the mainboard to see if you still hear the high pitch sound and if yes try disconnecting the other transformer and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for the reply mate. Why does it make that noise and after I start using it for a bit it goes away? Will it be safe to carry on using it like that now that I replced the main power supply?

#4 2023-01-23 15:56:01

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

It's called transformer whine and it's a result of the magnetic field causing expansion and contraction of the core laminates at a high-frequency rate. The power drawn from the PSU might impact the frequency of that vibration hence that's probably what you observe. It's perfectly fine to use it like that. However, I'd check if all screws are tightened correctly and if you're still annoyed with the noise I'd experiment with adding some rubber washers underneath that transformer.

#5 2023-01-23 17:05:28

mulberry
Windows 10Firefox 109.0

nkrypth wrote:

It's called transformer whine and it's a result of the magnetic field causing expansion and contraction of the core laminates at a high-frequency rate. The power drawn from the PSU might impact the frequency of that vibration hence that's probably what you observe. It's perfectly fine to use it like that. However, I'd check if all screws are tightened correctly and if you're still annoyed with the noise I'd experiment with adding some rubber washers underneath that transformer.

Thanks again nkrypth. The noise does go away after it's been on for a bit. I will check the screws etc. And if it gets worse I'll do what else you suggested. I'm not a tech person at all sadly.

Edit: The guy who sorted my PSU said this. So big up to both you for the help  icon13

"The sound you're experiencing is called 'Coil Whine' and it's coming from the transformer in the middle of the power supply board (The green box with the copper strap across it).

The reason is because the transformer is cold and therefore the windings will resonate. This dissipates when the transformer gets warmer due to the expansion of the copper windings.

I have done about 20 power supplies and they're all the same. A lot of people put the whine down to the inverter, but it's actually a combination of both the inverter AND the PSU transformer.

In a nut shell, it's normal and nothing to worry about"

Added later 38 min 38 s:
This was my older PSU. Is that actually leaking? (Apparently it's varnish. It breaks down over time and causes that whine"
G1PrPvn.jpeg

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-23 17:55:09)

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer