Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-19 19:56:22

studiollama

RFX-32

Hi all

So, I hear great things about the RFX card, but at the same time, I notice quite a few people selling them but keeping hold of the Emu Ultra. I know about the random panning and gain explosion bug, is this the reason? Is the card actually not that useful in a modern context? I'm running EOS 4.7 on a E6400 Ultra, would I need to downgrade the OS but lose certain benefits of the 4.7 OS?

I should add, I have an Eventide Orville, several vintage analog effects, BBD, flangers etc. plus some great plug in effects, so effects aren't lacking per se, my understanding (apart from being able to expand the I/O' s and send audio through the Emu filters and FX) is that the RFX card allows you to cross modulate effects with effects? Or something along those lines that makes it stand apart as a piece of kit...

Advice or opinions are welcome...

Gareth

#2 2014-11-20 17:54:37

Discarga
Administrator

Re: RFX-32

I want to buy an RFX, where did you find people selling them?

I don't know a lot about the RFX, but the main thing seems to be that you get separate effects for every channel slot, which of course is amazing. And I read that the quality of the algorithms is really good. I have never heard one, consciously, though.

#3 2014-11-21 15:05:39

philtipping
Administrator

Not sure if the E6400 has the same 43W/65W PSU options as the E5000, but might be worth checking before you get the RFX. I got away with it for a few years as I didn't know any better, but the PSU blew eventually. You may be able to see the wattage label through the holes in the PSU screen, but if not you'll have to remove it - be careful as there may be high voltages around even after switching off.
Haven't used the RFX in depth as with most things on the Ultra it takes some time to get your (my!) head round it, and then you gradually realise the awesome power of the thing. Would recommend having a browse through the RFX operation manual. It's a bit like the main manual; everything's there if you know what you want, but the 3 extra setup screens (plug-ins, effects, setups) are a mind-set thing so I'm only just beginning to use the FX without referring to it. The FX quality is much better than the standard FX, but can't say if it offers anything more than your existing gear... and they are fiddly to setup with the limited buttons on the sampler. I only have one good quality external FX box so the RFX makes it possible to process all the sampler's channels (and external i/p) in real-time. The MIDI routing features look very powerful but not explored them yet.
Bottom line is I'm hanging on to mine. I always remember the quote from 1999 in the SoundOnSound reviews before I ever considered getting an E-Mu - "This is most definitely a machine to grow up with, not to grow out of" icon_wink

#4 2014-11-21 19:16:52

studiollama

Thanks for the answers guys...

I've had a look through the ebay completed listings and as well, one came up last week in Russia but the guy pulled it at the last moment, nearly all of these stated that they had taken the RFX from the Ultra and kept the main unit. Hence, I wondered why this might be. I have effects pretty well covered but I might go for one anyway, if one comes up, as I think it would likely add another dimension to what is already a very powerful machine and actually, I think being able to process external audio through the filters is worth the price of admission..

Gareth

Last edited by studiollama (2014-11-21 19:17:32)

#5 2014-12-09 04:10:49

studiollama

There's an RFX on ebay.co.uk at the moment, I am going to pass this one up, just a heads up if anyone else is interested..

Gareth

#6 2014-12-09 04:50:41

alien_brain

link please?

#8 2014-12-11 15:41:53

Discarga
Administrator

oh, i totally would if i could atm icon_wink

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot