Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-08 06:15:28

epinema

e5000 Ultra Storage Options?

I have a beautiful e5000 Ultra sitting on my desk, slight problem, the only ways I have of interfacing it is via MIDI for uploading samples and disks for saving/loading.  SCSI does not seem to be something readily available, is there an affordable way to adapt it to interface with flash drives, CF or SD cards, basically anything that would allow me to work between my editing PC and the sampler more rapidly?  I want to use it more but so much time spent loading and renaming!  Any advice would be most appreciated :-)

Thanks heap!

#2 2015-09-10 00:17:53

CF3

Re: e5000 Ultra Storage Options?

I've gotta Stratos Technologies DinoMonster SSD drive installed in my E4XT Ultra. I simply pull out the 128 SSD drive connect to my computer via a SATA to USB cable, drag n' drop wav files into a folder on the SSD, EJECT, re-insert back into the E4XT, then load in the samples. Dead easy. Stratos also makes CF card drives. They're a Japanese company, but can be found on EBAY under the name Artmix. They sell a variety of different products for vintage samplers.

http://stratos-technology.com/cgi/Shop/ … cord_id=25

http://www.ebay.com/sch/artmix/m.html?_ … pg=&_from=

#3 2015-09-10 05:51:39

epinema

I love you CF3!   Now I just need moneys! lol

#4 2015-09-10 19:07:13

CF3

Honestly, the Stratos SSD drive really re-ignited my love for the E4XT. I've had few different Ultras over the years but stopped using them because it was such a pain in the ass to get stuff in and out of it. Now I've got all my custom samples and kits from years past in the machine AND backed up on my mac. After making a few templates for instruments, drums, etc.. it didn't take very long to get a ton of stuff saved.

If you do end up buying a replacement drive, just make sure that you are running EOS v4.70. That supports the file system you'll need to swap wav files and folders. You'll need the floopy drive to do that before you pull it out. Do a search in the EmusOnAcid archives. Lots of good info. There's also a few threads on Gearslutz pertaining to this.

#5 2015-09-11 14:18:37

KZB

CF3, do you know if the same approach will work for a Classic EIV (that can't run EOS4.7 and hence can't see FAT32 disks) by using something like Chicken Systems software that can mount EOS formatted disks on the Mac?
Thanks
KZB

#6 2015-09-11 15:18:02

CF3

KZB wrote:

CF3, do you know if the same approach will work for a Classic EIV (that can't run EOS4.7 and hence can't see FAT32 disks) by using something like Chicken Systems software that can mount EOS formatted disks on the Mac?
Thanks
KZB

Honestly, I've never used Chicken Systems Translator, but I've never heard anything good about it. Definitely try before you buy that software. I don't see why you couldn't use the Stratos drives for storage though. Or for transfering files (though be it, E-MU format, not wav.).

#7 2015-09-11 21:16:37

KZB

I used it convert my EMU library to Logic's EXS 24. It worked surprisingly well. That said, of course the EXS24 doesn't sound as good as the E4K but - it is useful.

#8 2015-09-14 05:39:51

epinema

I have a really stupid question since it has been a few years since I have opened it up but does it have an IDE socket in it and if so can I just bung a IDE to CF converter in it's place?

Addition - So, I just cracked it open , 40 pin IDE, not sure what the VCC coming out of the unusual power connector is but I do have some ancient 64MB CF flash cards kicking around.  Maybe worth a try?

Last edited by epinema (2015-09-14 09:02:00)

#9 2015-09-14 17:49:57

CF3

Do a quick search before messing with the IDE socket. If I'm remembering right EMU reversed the power to the drive for some reason? (Probably so you had to buy their IDE kit). Again, this info is definitely in the EmusOnAcid archives. It been years since I fooled around with the IDE in an Ultra.

#10 2015-09-14 21:22:31

epinema

Yeah.  I believe they reverse the yellow and red wires.  Send 12V right into the 5V terminal if it's not modded.  Cheeky bastards! lol

Wish I could find a service manual but no luck.  They really did not want people tampering with the internals on this thing, that's for sure.  They even didn't mark the first pin on the IDE socket (loose term, it's just pins sticking out of the main board).

#11 2015-09-15 09:58:12

epinema

Tempted to try a PATA Disk On Module.

#12 2015-09-15 18:43:31

CF3

epinema wrote:

Yeah.  I believe they reverse the yellow and red wires.  Send 12V right into the 5V terminal if it's not modded.  Cheeky bastards! lol

Wish I could find a service manual but no luck.  They really did not want people tampering with the internals on this thing, that's for sure.  They even didn't mark the first pin on the IDE socket (loose term, it's just pins sticking out of the main board).

Do a search for the "E-MU EOS Technical Documents PDF". Has a bunch of info and schematics. If you cant find it, hit with a PM.

Also there's a few vids floating around out there of people messing with cf card installations
http://youtu.be/TsTN-VUKwJ0

#13 2015-09-15 21:13:11

epinema

Once again CF3, thank you so much for your helpfulness on the subject!  This thing is definitely a challenge icon_smile

Now, I just need to poach the s3000 from work that no-one is ever going to use lol

#14 2015-09-25 12:24:58

Francisf

Well, boys and girls, I'm definitely interested in the Stratos option for my E5K, as the 2.5" laptop drive, bought off Amazon only 6 months ago, has died the death: it just clicks endlessly, and I can't load any samples from it. These Hitachi drives om Amazon are not new, according to several reviewers who checked them for mileage on their PCs, yet they're sold as new, despite complaints to Amazon. I swear, Amazon is turning into Ebay!
If anyone's curious:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews … ewpoints=1

Anyway, I have a Q for CF3: is there any reason you chose the SSD converter over SD, for example? Personally, I'm more comfortable with SD cards, cos they fit in your pocket! I wouldn't be using it as a hotswap option (I don't swap any samples with the PC) - just as a means of getting a new, quieter HD in the E5000.
Any opinions, anyone?

#15 2015-09-25 19:50:34

rupertt

I have an E5000 Ultra for four days now, had a spare external PCD50 Cardreader.
Works nice with a 128MB and a 1GB Card.

Are there any cards that are recommended?
I have a 2GB which does not work.
I was under the impression that I can go up to 120GB.

The Sampler has an internal SCSI Harddisk, are there any disadvantages in just using the CF Card? I dont see any.

The guy in the Video has 6 SCSI devices, are these the other slots on the PCD50?

Last edited by rupertt (2015-09-25 19:53:19)

#16 2015-09-26 16:10:06

CF3

Francisf wrote:

Anyway, I have a Q for CF3: is there any reason you chose the SSD converter over SD, for example? Personally, I'm more comfortable with SD cards, cos they fit in your pocket! I wouldn't be using it as a hotswap option (I don't swap any samples with the PC) - just as a means of getting a new, quieter HD in the E5000.
Any opinions, anyone?

I went with the SSD (DinoMonster) entirely due to it's storage capacity. I've got A LOT of samples and kits! I'm currently using 128gb SSD disk. I believe CF/SD cards are supported up to 32gb. Still a ton of space honestly. I don't see a difference except for the storage size. Being able to swap out samples and back up my library is a godsend. Has really brought my E4XT into the 21st century.

#17 2015-09-26 19:20:08

Francisf

Thanks for the reply, CF3. :-}
For the moment, I've put the noisy old 3.5" HD back in the E5k, until I decide what to do. (Like my CD player, I'm fond of "dithering".)

Out of curiosity, are the fantastic EMU library CDs readable by all EOS samplers? I have the 20 CDs, and they are rather brilliant, better than most synths I've owned in fact.
I ask because I've noticed that the E6400 and E4XT are slightly less rare than the E5000 that I have, so I was thinking of buying a backup machine. Like Roy Baty, I'm interested in longevity. :-)

I also read that the Yamaha A5000 reads EMU sample CDs: can anyone confirm this? They're certainly cheaper and not so rare as EMU samplers these days.

Last edited by Francisf (2015-09-28 09:42:44)

#18 2015-09-27 21:56:48

CF3

Francisf wrote:

Out of curiosity, are the fantastic EMU library CDs readable by all EOS samplers? I have the 20 CDs, and they are rather brilliant, better than most synths I've owned in fact.

I have a bunch of EMU Library CD's myself that I use with my E4XT (EOS 4.70). I know for sure they read EIII CDs. Also Akai, Roland, Ensoniq (some) and a few others. Its in the manual or one of the addendums.

#19 2015-10-03 15:53:10

Francisf

For anyone looking for a quieter drive on a budget, this info might be useful:

After my 2.5" laptop drive died on me (see above), I bought a 2nd hand 3.5" SATA disk-drive off Amazon for a tenner, and hooked it up using a very basic SATA-IDE converter, like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PATA-SATA-Card- … de+adapter

To my great surprise, it works! (I say that because I had no luck with a SATA SSD drive hooked up to this adapter). For anyone who doesn't need the hot-swap facility, this is a cheap and cheerful option, and there will be SATA HDs for years to come, unlike IDE drives, which are getting harder to find.

It's worth mentioning also that the cheap HD I got for the EMU is a "WD Caviar Blue" drive, because these drives are VERY quiet! No whine, no chatter, just near silence. (I had bought a new Caviar Blue drive for my digital recorder some months ago, and the improvement was spectacular: I can barely hear it spinning up when I turn on the recorder.)

Anyway, the 2nd-hand drive I bought for the EMU is 10 years old (yikes!), but it's still very quiet. So I don't think I'll bother again with 2.5" laptop drives: the only reason I got a laptop drive (as described above), was for some peace and quiet in the studio.

Frank

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer