Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-12 03:33:36

massan

Looking for e-synth original 256 factory presets

Hello everyone,

First post here, and a total newbie to the world of EMU samplers.

I recently rescued an e-synth (keyboard) from underneath someone's house. It was dismantled and destined for the dump ...

I have managed to get the thing booting up and making sound, so far so good ... very happy!

Can anyone help me at all getting hold of the original 256 presets that came with the synth?

I have the E Synth Rom V1.2 installed, which contains 186 presets of its own.

However, from what I can gather by searching online and in the manual, the e-synths (and maybe the other "E" samplers, E4K, e6400 etc. as well) came preloaded with 256 presets in the internal flash.

I would just love to get hold of these!

The manual seems to suggest that the first of these presets (in position I000) is entitled "Orpheus '97".

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Last edited by massan (2015-03-15 05:52:53)

#2 2015-03-15 06:42:56

massan

Re: Looking for e-synth original 256 factory presets

Hi again ... would just like to add ...

I managed to get a bank of different presets into the synth from the E-Synth Ultra disc. This is 500 new presets!!

I found the following link to the .zip files for the Ultra discs and would like to say a big THANK YOU to whoever it was that posted these back in 2009;

http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emus-o … 9.php.html

It is great to hear just how fantastic this synth sounds!

And here is another link to a list of what those 500 presets actually are;

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/28197954/Ul … (E-synth)#

However ... I'm still keen to know what those original 256 factory presets were that shipped with the unit!

Does anyone out there have a list of the names?? It would be interesting to see if they are totally different to the Ultra presets or whether some are duplicated.

Anyway in the meantime, next job is to get some modern mass storage back into the machine, as it seems the original SCSI disc has died.

It mounts in the disc browser but has a Zzz ... symbol in the icon, and it can't be woken or accessed.

Any ideas as to what that might be would be much appreciated!

I am determined to bring this machine back to life in full!

#3 2015-03-15 18:58:56

MadGav

I'd disconnect that HD before it causes any harm. The HD in my E4K died and behaved like this, but I'm sure it was blowing the SCSI polyfuses, handily those "heal" in a week or so.

#4 2015-03-16 14:26:52

massan

Yes, good point, I will do that! Thanks for the info.

#5 2015-03-17 21:38:45

Francisf

Is this any good? I know someone on Emusonacid was selling a set of Esynth presets (maybe 2 years ago), as I had one for a while and missed the sounds when I sold it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMU-ESYNTH-Fa … 5b0d64f381

#6 2015-03-19 03:55:32

massan

Thank you kindly for that link Francisf ... order has been placed! From the description I am not sure if these are the original 256 factory presets or the Ultra eSynth production session presets, as it seems to say both. But with a bit of luck it will be both! Love the presets I have managed to get in there so far. I would describe the overall sound as bold and strident, with a transparent and "see-through" quality ... great for adding gloss and sheen, and very nice when juxtaposed with earthy analogue synths. Looking forward to getting into the sampling side of things, but will need to get some new mass storage in there first so I can save all the hard work.

#7 2015-03-19 11:24:31

Francisf

Let us know what they're like! I remember there were some luvverly "evolving pads" in the presets, and I made a list of the best sounds so that I could show them off when I was selling the keyboard.
I distinctly recall having second thoughts as I played all those rich and fruity sounds to the bloke who eventually bought it!

Am I mistaken, or wasn't it only 128 presets in ROM? Didn't you have to buy additional ROM to get those extra presets? Well, whatever, let's hope you get both in the bundle. :-)

#8 2015-03-19 12:39:48

massan

"I distinctly recall having second thoughts as I played all those rich and fruity sounds to the bloke who eventually bought it!"

I know that awful feeling! I was selling my Juno 106 some years ago, and I set it up through some good speakers to show it off, and it just sounded the best it had ever sounded ... so deep and powerful. My heart began to sink and when the guy drove out the driveway with it in his car I regretted it immediately and for weeks afterwards!

Yes, there are 186 presets in the eSynth ROM itself. They are just basic but very good sounds like 'bass guitar' or 'grand piano' ... but the 500 presets I somehow managed to get loaded in the other day by some miracle (from the Ultra E-Synth Production Sessions floppy discs, links above) are rich, complex, multilayered presets ... evolving and shimmering, quite spectacular!

It is actually confusing trying to figure out what the eSynth originally came with, and then there were different versions of that same family of E4 samplers. Through scouring the internet and reading the manual what I have managed to find out so far is;

1. The E4K, eSynth - and maybe some other versions - came with 256 presets from the factory stored in the internal flash. One of these may have been called "Orpheus '97".
2. There was the Ultra Production Sessions set of 3 floppy discs that was released later on.
3. One floppy had presets for the eSynth ROM, another for the Orbit/Phatt ROM, and the other had presets based on both ROMS.
3. The eSynth ROM comes standard with the eSynth and (mine at least) has 186 presets of its own.

Whew! Anyway, I will be sure to let you know what is on the discs when they arrive.

In the meantime, if anyone out there knows more about those elusive 256 factory presets please do chime in!

#9 2015-11-24 15:25:55

mocheez

I have bought the eSynth ROM banks on a zip drive for my E6400 Ultra. Could that be of any help?

#10 2015-11-25 12:03:58

massan

Hi mocheez, many thanks for the message. Hmmm ... indeed that could be helpful. I would be curious to know the names of, say, the first 5 or 10 presets you have there, I wonder if what you have could be the original 256 factory presets that shipped with eSynth ROM equipped synths. I think one of those presets was called "Orpheus '97". Any sign of that anywhere there?

My eSynth ROM had 186 presets built in, just very basic patches, like piano, guitar, strings, choir, etc. None of the parameters were mapped to any of the front panel real-time sliders or mod wheels, just very basic patches.

Later I got hold of the "Ultra Production Sessions" floppies, that came with 500 fabulously complex, multi-layered sounds. The first 10 patches are:

0. Extreme Ultra
1. Machine Blitz
2. Flute & Orch
3. Ode to You & I
4. Piano & Vox
5. Big Wave Kit
6. Dynamo Split
7. Orgo Maniac
8. UK Grand
9. Synchromatic
10. Orchestra

etc .......

Are they the same as your first 10 presets?

#11 2015-11-25 19:46:28

MadGav

Massan: from memory those names match the patches on the Ultra backup CD.

#12 2015-12-10 12:37:02

mocheez

@massan : I will check the patches on the zip see if the names correspond. Some patches you named do ring a bell - like "Ode to You & I" - but I may have seen them online while browsing for E-mu info. I'll check that tonight when I get home and let you know.

#13 2015-12-10 19:55:31

mocheez

Ok, Massan, here's how my e-Synth Zip bank starts:

P000 Eosmosis
P001 Piano & Strings
P002 Eye Sham
P003 Orchestra
P004 Ode to You & I
P005 Swingle Singers
P006 Dyno Split
P007 Jay Veeish
P008 Diss Tort

[…]

And it ends with:

P250 Tibetan Mudra
P251 Lucid Dream
P252 Swamp Situation
P253 Nightmare Train
P254 Zoundscape
P255 Departure

Which makes a total of… 256 presets! Just what you were looking for ;-)

Bank info :
B00 E-Synth Fullbank, type : E4 BANK
Total bank size: 16.2MB

Last edited by mocheez (2015-12-11 10:34:16)

#14 2016-01-22 23:39:57

massan

Hi Mocheez and MadGav,

Many thanks for replies. Apologies for the late response, I usually get a notification in my e-mail when there is an addition to this thread but wouldn't ya know it - for some reason I didn't get one at this final, critical stage.

Mocheez - wow that's very interesting. It seems that a few of your presets are the same as mine, but - you have quite a few there that I don't have. And at exactly 256 presets, this indeed seems to be the missing preset bank!!! Thank you so very much!!!!

How, perchance, might I get a copy of this from you?!?

I notice that the bank size is 16.2MB, but at that size, it seems like that might include some samples. I suspect that just the 256 presets alone would be able to fit onto one 1.4MB floppy. If you could somehow e-mail me just the presets, that would be just sensational! I of course have the eSynth ROM in my machine so it would be able to pull up the patches without any trouble.

Many thanks again!

#15 2016-01-23 19:05:26

MadGav

Massan: I wrote some code to combine the Ultra presets with an EROM dump, so I ought to be able to do the reverse

#16 2016-01-25 13:35:22

massan

Hi Mocheez and MadGav,

Well it seems my last post was a little hasty; on closer inspection I do have those presets Mocheez listed. The order is different but scanning through my preset list they are, in fact, all there. Apologies for the false alarm!

At this point I can only conclude that I probably already have the 256 presets that I have been looking for, dispersed amongst the 500 presets I got on the Ultra Sessions floppy I picked up a while back.

Many thanks indeed for your time and willingness to help me get this sorted out! Please don't spend your time rewriting any code MadGav ... as mentioned it seems likely that I already have all the presets there ever were.

Mocheez, thanks again for checking your zip disc and posting a list of your presets, that certainly did clear things up.

Okay, my next mission is to get some modern mass storage into the unit (the internal SCSI drive has died, uggghhh) and start delving into the sampling capabilities of the machine. You may not have heard the last of me yet haha!

#17 2016-02-10 22:14:17

Stephencl

Massan,

I sent you an email on this topic, I am trying to get the 500 presets for my e4k's, but the instruction pdf link is dead...

Thank you,

Stephen

#18 2016-02-11 02:39:10

massan

Hi Stephen,

I have sent you an email with the preset list attached.

Best of luck!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer