Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-08 17:27:44

orbit88

E-MU e64 switches from Midi-Mode ''Poly'' to ''Multi/Omni' on its own!

Hey guys,

i am happy to see that this kind of forum exists. I got an problem with my E-MU and relly hope somebody can help.

My idea is to trigger my e64 with my Sequencer and with my MPC.
I bought a midi-merger to send the midi signals of both to the instruments (including the e54) in my midichain.

Of course i seperated all my instruments in this chain to different midichannels as i did with the e-mu.

Because i don't want my e64 to be triggered by all incoming midinotes from the other midichannels, I switched the Midi-mode to poly so it only gets triggered from the notes it recieves on the basicchannel.

For some time it goes well, but then out of nothing it starts to recieve also other notes from all the other channels as if it was in multi oder omni midimode.

When i check the midi it still says poly, so when i switch it to omni for example and back to poly it works normal again. and then after some time again!

All notes from all midichannels are recived and it sound like a big mess.

For now i took it out from the chain and trigger it. But with this option i canot trigger the other instruments with the mpc and the sequencer.

Any ideas how to keep the Midimode Poly stable?

Would be amazing!

Thanks everybody!!! (=

#2 2017-02-09 09:07:40

philtipping
Administrator

Re: E-MU e64 switches from Midi-Mode ''Poly'' to ''Multi/Omni' on its own!

Don't know for sure, but there are MIDI commands which can change modes so maybe one of those is sneaking through. If you can capture the traffic in a MIDI monitor, you can confirm or eliminate this theory.

#3 2017-02-09 17:34:03

orbit88

Hey thanks for the fast anwser. Yes something like that was my guess too as I experienced similar behaviour with other gear before. I think Midi-Ox can monitor the commands. What I am wondering is how to find out which exact command is actually changing the modes?

#4 2017-02-09 20:07:24

philtipping
Administrator

Some details here
https://users.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave.Marshall … de158.html
Looks like there's 4 commands for mode changes: Bn 7C, Bn 7D, Bn 7E & Bn 7F
where n is the midi channel no. (0-based).
If your midi monitor can filter out Control Change messages (Bn) then it should be easy to spot. If there are none, then I'm stumped, but if there are you can then see who/what is generating them. Keep us posted.

#5 2017-02-10 01:27:27

orbit88

Okay thats interesting. It seems that the commands go with the velocity of my sequencer. 7F  which is the default (and highest) velocity of 127. So the followings are 7E=126, 7D=125, 7C=124 aso. Now of course i made a pattern with velocities way under 100, hoping it would help. But still keeps switching (which is not really switching because it still says poly, but acts different.)
But I noticed that this ''switch'' only happens when I go into sample edit mode on the e64. As long as I am in preset manage, preset edit or sample manage mode everything is fine. Switching to sample edit triggers this misbehaviour and then i got it going on in all other modes until I reset it to poly again. But there is no way to avoid the sample edit section as essential functions like truncating are controlled from there. This is really making me crazy as i can't switch back to poly everytime as soon as I make any little change in sample edit mode.
But thanks very much  for the help so far!! Maybe any other ideas?

#6 2017-02-10 07:03:19

philtipping
Administrator

Ok, sounds like this is a red herring, but worth a shot - maybe someone else has some ideas. Just to clarify the MIDI message info, the control change pattern you need to look for is the 'pair' of bytes Bn 7x. The 2nd byte 7C-7E is just the qualifier part of the command Bn so could appear in many other commands, such as note-on & note-off messages. So you're right in that 7C-7F could be a velocity value, but looking for these bytes on their own won't help as they could appear all over the place.
The only other thing is that I seem to recall switching to Sample Edit mode is a way of stopping stuck notes, so maybe the e64 is resetting its own mode as a side-effect of this. Or maybe it's also sending out an 'all notes off' type of message so if it's connected back into your midi chain, this could cause the problem. Best of luck.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer