Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 14:33:35

indusfield

Please Help!!! 6400ultra upgrade 4.70

Hi there,

This is my first post here and i really need your knowledge.

I recently bought a 6400 ultra with OS 4.61, everyting worked fine except for the HD that sometimes didnt recognised.
So i thought to put a new HD on it and found this thread:

http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emus-o … 3.php.html

1- Did the upgrade, everything appeard fine but now when i turn it on it stays on "mounting IDE " sometimes freezes and other it goes fine, but even then when i click on "disk browse" the machine freezes for 1-2 min and dont recognizes the HD. I took it off, just left the disk drive, and still the samething it freezes for 1-2 min, is there anyone else with this problem? Shoud i revert to 4.61?? (dont know if that's possible now) or do i have anything wrongly connected now that is 4.70?

2 - In the same thread, i got the Wintech SAK-65, Icy Box and a 160 Gb SSD HD and a disk with the 4.70 OS, as mencioned. But in one of the post by JAHFUNK he says:

"Have a very fine drill bit to hand for drilling out the centre hole in the IDE ribbon connector."

Can someone tell me what center hole is he talking about please??

I really appriciate any help plase. I reallly like this machine and want to use it so much.
Thanks

#2 2018-01-18 20:22:55

Re: Please Help!!! 6400ultra upgrade 4.70

Hey, do you still have the floppy drive or did you replace it by Icy Box ?
I may have read somewhere a jumper is need when floppy drive is disconnected : it could hang the sampler

I experience also drive troubles, on an e5000/4.7 with FAT scsi2sd v6.
Not the same as yours : editing samples, the sampler hang while saving the UNDO/REDO file, and displays "Scanning FAT" for about 1 minute per FAT volume.

I noticed EMU eos format was simpler to manage than FAT, but more space limited.

2 - I think the IDE connector on E-Mu are double pin rows.
Usual Ide cable have a blocked hole in the middle, to prevent backward plugin.
You have to drill this hole, or the cable can't be plugged.

Look at this picture, on the blue side :
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-18- … B0000511TN

Last edited by 211 (2018-01-18 20:24:43)

#3 2018-01-19 13:03:18

indusfield

211 wrote:

Hey, do you still have the floppy drive or did you replace it by Icy Box ?
I may have read somewhere a jumper is need when floppy drive is disconnected : it could hang the sampler

I experience also drive troubles, on an e5000/4.7 with FAT scsi2sd v6.
Not the same as yours : editing samples, the sampler hang while saving the UNDO/REDO file, and displays "Scanning FAT" for about 1 minute per FAT volume.

I noticed EMU eos format was simpler to manage than FAT, but more space limited.

2 - I think the IDE connector on E-Mu are double pin rows.
Usual Ide cable have a blocked hole in the middle, to prevent backward plugin.
You have to drill this hole, or the cable can't be plugged.

Look at this picture, on the blue side :
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-18- … B0000511TN

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i did read the same, somewhere, about the jumper. I will try with or without the floppy to see what happens.

1- That sucks if that's the workflow with 4.70, with the 4.61 everything worked fine ( Oh why did i changed it ).

2- Thanks for the image, i've drilled the hole icon_smile

3- i had another problem, when i connect everything with the IDE to SATA converter and SDD and ICYbox, when i turned it on, the screen displayed black lines. After a few hours and searching online i found the problem. The plug where power cable that connects to the motherboard <--> HD is reversed but factory, after i changed it it booted fine but without recognising the SSD Dammmmmmittttt. Apparently many people didnt manage to put it to work either. So i bought a Normal SATA HD.

Let's see what happens after the new HD arrives.

I will try the EOS format as well

Thanks again

#4 2018-01-19 21:57:49

Ouch, sorry for your SSD.
Can't help you too much about IDE, as I choose the scsi2sd way.

About the workflow, it depends what you want to do with 4.7
First file and folder naming convention as describe in 4.7 manual is not so easy as a simple drag n drop. Each folder/bank have to be named prefixed by a number and a letter.

If your goal is to feed your drive with wav files, the sad thing is 4.7 only let you load wav files one by one. A pain if you planned to do a layered drumkit.
E4Btool is a free application (win/mac) to write a basic bank file with multiple wav, but without mapping. 
I don't know if E4B files works prior 4.7.

ChickenSys translator is very usefull and worth the money, if you want to translate programs from other hardware/software sampler.
It can also read EMU EOS formatted drives. So you can fill your sampler with samples, but without 4.7.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer