Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-28 11:43:03

lokaz

Do you want a new EOS system ?

Hello people,

So I post a topic that is not very common, but I hope that will intrigue many of you.

Voila, there is some time already that I am familiar with this sampler (E5000 Ultra, E6400 Ultra, etc ...) and the Proteus 2000 series, it is more than 10 years since the last series of samplers with the EOS system has been abandoned.

Today we are at version 4.7 of this system, which in fact is a Beta version that was to lead to version 4.8, this has never happened, the system has been set aside.

And yet there are things to correct and improve, we would really have a very stable machine, even if it is already very good on many points, there are others that deserve attention and that is a pity of not to have been taken seriously by the company CREATIVE who had bought E-MU system at the time!

People are ready to work on the code, but doing reverse ingineering is extremely complicated and takes too much time, so I sent a request to CREATIVE and Dave ROSSUM (Founder of E-MU) by through its website "ROSSUM ELECTRONIC", the company CREATIVE clearly explained to me that "E-MU system" was no longer part of their home, however this is what ROSSUM ELECTRONIC replied to me:

"Hi Julien,

Thanks for your message. It is quite rewarding to hear that there is still a substantial community of E-mu sampler users.

Unfortunately, it is in the case that Creative Labs is the sole owner of the EOS system, and only they could make the decision to release the source code.

I wish we could be more help, but it is simply not within our power.

Best regards,
Rossum Electro-Music "

So that means that it is always CREATIVE who owns the rights of the EOS software.

I ask all those who want, at a specific time, to send a message to CREATIVE asking them to work, to assume the system or leave it in free source code, simply.

Maybe I'm dreaming but hey who tries nothing as we say! Here you go tell me what you think? Thank you ?

#2 2017-11-28 11:44:07

lokaz

Re: Do you want a new EOS system ?

After the purpose of this approach is just common sense, me and many other users in France do not understand why such a great machine was left abandoned, it's a shame because there is still potential, it is not question of appropriating the patent or other, just be able to improve me operating system nothing more;)

#3 2017-12-01 01:25:41

CF3

I've owned several EOS samplers. Currently an expanded E4XT. I'd LOVE, LOVE LOVE if someone could hack the code and/or convince Creative to just open source it. Still such an amazing instrument. Sounds sooo good.

I'm not that hopeful Creative will let it happen. But..... I'm always blown away by how clever people are at coming up with solutions on there own. So hope does live on.

#4 2017-12-06 22:45:21

nice. I PM'ed you.

#5 2017-12-07 16:00:51

lokaz

Thank you icon_wink

#6 2017-12-13 23:52:16

PolloLoco

I talked a little bit with Tim Swartz who worked for E-MU through email. He said that Creative did essentially change the direction of the company and failed. They bought E-MU and Ensoniq to get access to certain sound chips but didn't know much about samplers if I remember correctly. We should just pressure CREATIVE to sell E-MU to a company that would care enough to revive it and fix it.

#7 2017-12-29 17:34:53

iSteve

Kudos for starting this thread and to those who have contributed.  I am a fan of the E-Mu synth engine in a variety of incarnations (hardware and software) and believe it has been and continues to be well-used by many.  My first was a Proteus 1/Plus Orchestra XR, which I liked for its implementation of virtual patch cords having gotten started in college on a Moog with really cool non-virtual patch cords that could be used to route modules to other modules, etc. (as well as a solid base of wonderful samples).

I am uncertain if today's markets could support a new hardware sampler following in the tradition of the Emulator IV Ultra Platinum lineage.  Of course, if a 2020 version were possible and if I could afford one, I'd sign up to be on the waiting list (as long as it were reverse compatible with my *.e4b and & *.exb disks, files, etc)!!!

On a more practical note, with the technology that is available today, I don't see why someone (or a group of dedicated aficionados and casual users with expertise in various sort areas) couldn't work on a develop a system that pays homage to these samplers we have come to love. And while the source code might be insightful, I am wondering if something based on current technology would really benefit from having the source code.  On the other hand, to build EOS4.9, it would be essential to have.

Just some thoughts--as a fan of the E-Mu lineage.

Steve

#8 2018-04-19 23:37:16

lame_turtle

Any news about all that ? Anyone finally communicated with creative or something ? These samples are dying, whatever info, technical documents, recovery floppies, debug information etc.. would be useful . I did email them a year ago but never got an answer.

#9 2018-10-24 13:55:41

flextone

Would love a new OS! Some new FX would be great. And make Sstart and Sloop work better as mod destinations. i.e not just moving a few dozen samples back and forth but rather the entire sample length like on later Akais.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer