Samplers on ACiD

Everything we love about Samplers from E-MU, AKAI, Ensoniq, Kurzweil, Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and all the rest.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-11-26 20:26:08

mrcrappypantson
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

JImmySingh wrote:
mrcrappypantson wrote:
JImmySingh wrote:

i received my xm-1 today, its much quite than the old one, so thats a relief... But the original is 40x40x20 instead of 10mm. Does that make a difference in cooling?

Is this the correct one?
The the watts differs instead of 0.6 watt its 0.36 watts.

and 0.03 amp

How many pins are in your machines? My e4xt has four while this fan only will accept 3.

Just from the back view, leave the first pin from the right. And the fan will do...

Do you have an image of yours? im just in doubt that min is 0,36 watts.

I'm not home now but I'll check when I get home.

Can you upload a photo???

Last edited by mrcrappypantson (2015-11-26 20:51:41)

Offline

#27 2015-11-26 23:22:41

mrcrappypantson
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

My watts and amps are the same.

Offline

#28 2015-11-28 19:25:23

CF3
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

Yes the Ultras have 4 pins while the XM-1 fan has 3 pins. This is not an issue. Just go POSITIVE TO POSITIVE, NEGATIVE TO NEGATIVE. I had to modify the fan connector by cutting off the little plastic ends with a pair of wire cutters.

Offline

#29 2015-11-30 20:30:54

JImmySingh
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

mrcrappypantson wrote:

My watts and amps are the same.

Same as?

Offline

#30 2015-11-30 21:01:20

mrcrappypantson
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

JImmySingh wrote:
mrcrappypantson wrote:

My watts and amps are the same.

Same as?

Same as yours.

Offline

#31 2018-09-01 20:04:55

Andreaux
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

I know it's a quite old thread, but this might be useful for one looking for a super silent fan replacement in an E-MU Sampler (or actually anything else)... I swapped mine for a Noctua fan, which is literally noiseless. It's a 1-1 replacement as it's the same size and comes with rubber silents to mount it vibration free. You either cut and tap the original wire, or use the adapters provided (3 wire connectors) (different adapters mean different RPM-s for low or ultra-low noise).

I got them from Amazon here: in the US: https://amzn.to/2NaNrT4 in the UK: https://amzn.to/2PnQnt8 or Germany: https://amzn.to/2C8IHch

It took a while until I found these, but they are really the best. Since then, I replaced the fans in my NAS, my 3D printer, etc. all to Noctua because they're really-really-really silent and in a studio, that's what you want icon_smile
I also ditched the internal HDD for an IDE-to-CF adapter and the floppy for a USB floppy emulator... so noise, begone icon_biggrin

Offline

#32 2018-10-24 10:15:40

flextone
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

Thanks Andreaux!

Offline

#33 2018-10-27 22:20:47

FREEZONE
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

Thank You!

Andreaux wrote:

I know it's a quite old thread, but this might be useful for one looking for a super silent fan replacement in an E-MU Sampler (or actually anything else)... I swapped mine for a Noctua fan, which is literally noiseless. It's a 1-1 replacement as it's the same size and comes with rubber silents to mount it vibration free. You either cut and tap the original wire, or use the adapters provided (3 wire connectors) (different adapters mean different RPM-s for low or ultra-low noise).

I got them from Amazon here: in the US: https://amzn.to/2NaNrT4 in the UK: https://amzn.to/2PnQnt8 or Germany: https://amzn.to/2C8IHch

It took a while until I found these, but they are really the best. Since then, I replaced the fans in my NAS, my 3D printer, etc. all to Noctua because they're really-really-really silent and in a studio, that's what you want icon_smile
I also ditched the internal HDD for an IDE-to-CF adapter and the floppy for a USB floppy emulator... so noise, begone icon_biggrin

Offline

#34 2019-02-28 14:13:47

Alnitak
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

Thanks for the hints, I've just ordered a Noctua from Amazon UK.

Also, for those still looking for a better way to mount 2.5" HDDs in their Ultras, I've designed a 3D printed bracket:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3385440

Offline

#35 2021-12-05 18:21:10

esmeets
Member

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

Hi, Just reviving an old thread icon_smile Is the Noctua fan advice still valid or is there a (better) alternative? Preferably I want to replace it 1-1 without cutting any cables etc. I'm not that good with DIY...
Thanks!

Offline

#36 2023-01-19 11:05:10

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 108.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

esmeets wrote:

Hi, Just reviving an old thread icon_smile Is the Noctua fan advice still valid or is there a (better) alternative? Preferably I want to replace it 1-1 without cutting any cables etc. I'm not that good with DIY...
Thanks!

I joined looking to find the answer to this too. Need a new fan for my Ultra. Anyone got any ideas?

Offline

#37 2023-01-19 15:11:29

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

mulberry wrote:

I joined looking to find the answer to this too. Need a new fan for my Ultra. Anyone got any ideas?

Noctua is still a go-to fan. If you're not good at soldering you can use one of the splice wire connectors instead.

However, you can also disconnect the fan entirely. Actually, all my E-MU samplers are fanless! The main reason for using the fan is the heat caused by using old spinning hard drives. Modern SCSI devices like ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SD have minimal power draw vs. the old spinning hard drives (more power draw = more heat). If you're still concerned about the airflow you can use an external larger fan to pull the air out of your rack.

Offline

#38 2023-01-19 18:28:26

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 108.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

nkrypth wrote:
mulberry wrote:

I joined looking to find the answer to this too. Need a new fan for my Ultra. Anyone got any ideas?

Noctua is still a go-to fan. If you're not good at soldering you can use one of the splice wire connectors instead.

However, you can also disconnect the fan entirely. Actually, all my E-MU samplers are fanless! The main reason for using the fan is the heat caused by using old spinning hard drives. Modern SCSI devices like ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SD have minimal power draw vs. the old spinning hard drives (more power draw = more heat). If you're still concerned about the airflow you can use an external larger fan to pull the air out of your rack.

I have the RFX32 card installed. Would like a fan and one without hassle to install. There must be a 1-1 option out there.

Edit: Actually can you make the adjustments on those Noctua fans yourself. Are you based in the UK?

I could remove the fan but I worry with the RFX32 card heating things up. Do you know of anyone else with a RFX card and no fan?

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-19 18:57:28)

Offline

#39 2023-01-19 20:18:47

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

mulberry wrote:

I have the RFX32 card installed. Would like a fan and one without hassle to install. There must be a 1-1 option out there.

Edit: Actually can you make the adjustments on those Noctua fans yourself.

E-MU has a 4-pin connector but only 2 wires are used. Most of the fans nowadays use either 3 or 4-wire connectors.

Below is an example of two Noctua connectors (black ones) vs. the one used by E-MU (middle one). Additionally, E-MU uses pin 2 for ground and pin 3 for 12v while Noctua uses I believe pin 1 for ground and pin 2 for 12V. So either way you're looking at splicing the cable to properly adjust the wiring and connect to E-MU motherboard. Alternatively, you could "steal" 12V from HDD or a floppy connector by using the Molex (HDD) or Berg (Floppy) to 3-pin PC case fan adapter.

jRl8xja.jpg

mulberry wrote:

Are you based in the UK?

Nope. I'm from Texas, US.

mulberry wrote:

I could remove the fan but I worry with the RFX32 card heating things up. Do you know of anyone else with an RFX card and no fan?

I have several E-MUs including two that have RFX installed. No issues whatsoever. Perhaps get a cheap temperature probe and check the temperature near the E-MU PSU after a couple of hours of use with and without a fan. In my case, it was barely a couple of degrees higher than the ambient temperature,

Offline

#40 2023-01-19 20:25:17

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 108.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

nkrypth wrote:
mulberry wrote:

I have the RFX32 card installed. Would like a fan and one without hassle to install. There must be a 1-1 option out there.

Edit: Actually can you make the adjustments on those Noctua fans yourself.

E-MU has a 4-pin connector but only 2 wires are used. Most of the fans nowadays use either 3 or 4-wire connectors.

Below is an example of two Noctua connectors (black ones) vs. the one used by E-MU (middle one). Additionally, E-MU uses pin 2 for ground and pin 3 for 12v while Noctua uses I believe pin 1 for ground and pin 2 for 12V. So either way you're looking at splicing the cable to properly adjust the wiring and connect to E-MU motherboard. Alternatively, you could "steal" 12V from HDD or a floppy connector by using the Molex (HDD) or Berg (Floppy) to 3-pin PC case fan adapter.

jRl8xja.jpg

mulberry wrote:

Are you based in the UK?

Nope. I'm from Texas, US.

mulberry wrote:

I could remove the fan but I worry with the RFX32 card heating things up. Do you know of anyone else with an RFX card and no fan?

I have several E-MUs including two that have RFX installed. No issues whatsoever. Perhaps get a cheap temperature probe and check the temperature near the E-MU PSU after a couple of hours of use with and without a fan. In my case, it was barely a couple of degrees higher than the ambient temperature,

Thanks mate for all this info. It's good to know also you have run your Ultras without a fan and a RFX fitted. It does make sense to have a fan for the old HD's and the heat they give off. I did wonder why most Akai's never needed a fan but of course the ones who did had HD's. Makes sense now.

Added later 03 min 41 s:
Out of interest. I have one of these. Would it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01II4C6UG? … ct_details

Offline

#41 2023-01-19 20:44:50

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

mulberry wrote:

Thanks mate for all this info. It's good to know also you have run your Ultras without a fan and a RFX fitted. It does make sense to have a fan for the old HD's and the heat they give off. I did wonder why most Akai's never needed a fan but of course the ones who did had HD's. Makes sense now.

You're welcome!

mulberry wrote:

Out of interest. I have one of these. Would it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01II4C6UG? … ct_details

Yes, any 40mm fan will work but since it's only 10mm thick (Noctua is twice as thick) it has to run at a higher speed so the noise level will be significantly higher.

Offline

#42 2023-01-19 21:07:12

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 108.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

nkrypth wrote:
mulberry wrote:

Thanks mate for all this info. It's good to know also you have run your Ultras without a fan and a RFX fitted. It does make sense to have a fan for the old HD's and the heat they give off. I did wonder why most Akai's never needed a fan but of course the ones who did had HD's. Makes sense now.

You're welcome!

mulberry wrote:

Out of interest. I have one of these. Would it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01II4C6UG? … ct_details

Yes, any 40mm fan will work but since it's only 10mm thick (Noctua is twice as thick) it has to run at a higher speed so the noise level will be significantly higher.

Got it. I could give it a go and see if it's too noisey.  icon13

Added later 35 min 27 s:

mulberry wrote:
nkrypth wrote:
mulberry wrote:

Thanks mate for all this info. It's good to know also you have run your Ultras without a fan and a RFX fitted. It does make sense to have a fan for the old HD's and the heat they give off. I did wonder why most Akai's never needed a fan but of course the ones who did had HD's. Makes sense now.

You're welcome!

mulberry wrote:

Out of interest. I have one of these. Would it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01II4C6UG? … ct_details

Yes, any 40mm fan will work but since it's only 10mm thick (Noctua is twice as thick) it has to run at a higher speed so the noise level will be significantly higher.

Got it. I could give it a go and see if it's too noisey.  icon13

Yep it's not silent  icon_lol2

Edit: Fan removed now. Nice and silent. Thanks  icon13

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-19 22:03:34)

Offline

#43 2023-01-23 17:49:05

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

@nkrypth made 2 tunes since we chatted on this. Fan removed and using the RFX32. No issues at all like you said.  icon13

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-23 17:49:28)

Offline

#44 2023-01-23 18:07:51

nkrypth
Administrator
Windows 10Chrome 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

mulberry wrote:

@nkrypth made 2 tunes since we chatted on this. Fan removed and using the RFX32. No issues at all like you said.  icon13

Nice! Probably you still can't believe how silent your E-mu is, right? laughing

Offline

#45 2023-01-23 18:11:19

mulberry
Member
Windows 10Firefox 109.0

Re: New fan for emu e6400 ultra

nkrypth wrote:
mulberry wrote:

@nkrypth made 2 tunes since we chatted on this. Fan removed and using the RFX32. No issues at all like you said.  icon13

Nice! Probably you still can't believe how silent your E-mu is, right? laughing

lol It's a bit unnerving laughing

Last edited by mulberry (2023-01-23 18:11:51)

Offline

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] CCBot

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Modified by Visman

[ Generated in 0.036 seconds, 9 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.67 MiB (Peak: 1.84 MiB) ]